In this section, you’ll investigate how 2D, 3D, and virtual reality elements can be used to build an interactive digital game, simulation, or experience that others can interact with. Creating for interactive design projects is often referred to as “experience prototyping.” As you think about what experience you want to create, consider these questions to guide you.
- What do I need to know about the issue I’ve chosen and how it affects my community?
- What is your story concept or idea?
- Who are you designing it for?
- Why should it be interactive?
- What is the impact you want it to have?
Sample Interactive Design Apps and Tools
The tools listed as beginner and intermediate below can also be used for complex creations, or can be great starting points for those new to creating interactive experiences.
- A-Frame – A web framework for building virtual reality experiences.
- Gamestar Mechanic – A tool for learning about game design and making your own video games.
- Glitch – A platform and community with free tools to create and use millions of apps, including VR experiences.
- Godot – A 2D and 3D, cross-platform, free and open-source game engine.
- Minecraft – A sandbox video game in which players can explore a blocky, pixelated, 3D world, and discover and extract raw materials, craft tools, and build structures.
- MIT App Inventor – A visual programming environment for creating fully functional apps for smartphones and tablets.
- Mozilla Mixed Reality Home – Free tools to create VR experiences.
- OpenSpace3D – A platform for creating virtual and augmented-reality applications or games.
- Ready Maker – An open-ended software creator for building games, apps, and software without any previous coding experience.
- Scratch MIT – Learn to code your own interactive stories, games, and animations.
- Unity – A cross-platform game engine used to develop three-dimensional and two-dimensional video games and simulations. Includes a Free Online Unity & Oculus Course for intermediate Unity developers.
- Unreal Engine – A 3D creation tool for creating interactive experiences and immersive virtual worlds.